You know it's being an interesting summer when the garlic grows as big as the pumpkins. This is the largest pumpkin (and the largest garlic).
Other interesting obstacles:
- The cherry tomatoes (Chocolate Cherry) have done wonderfully well. The other tomatoes have not. The slicers, in particular (Brandywine), have done poorly: only a few flowers fruit, despite a bees nest and hand pollination.
- The first lettuce bolted quickly (<2 weeks) and later plantings refused to germinate.
- The broccoli bolted quickly as well, but the chickens enjoyed it.
- Watermelon kept dying. It would be just growing fine, small melons growing on it, then bang, it died (both in greenhouse and in a hanging pot outdoors).
On the other hand:
- Peas and beans did wonderfully.
- Kale grew more than I planted (some re-seeding from last year's plants)! All of it thrived.
- Peppers grown in the greenhouse thrived (though those in the garden languished).
- The rest of the herbs grew pretty well, particularly spearmint & lemon balm.
- Nasturtium grew wonderfully wherever they were!