Sunday, February 14, 2021

Mid February Update

My to do list says that February 15th is time to plant some of last month's brassica starts into the garden. I put one out there (under a dome) a couple of days ago. We'll see if it survives.

I don't think I'll be able to plant things into the garden this weekend. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The other thing on the list for this weekend was to start tomatoes and sweet peppers.This is a little early, but I want really strong starts come early May, when it's time for them to go into the garden. And I'll probably give a few away, too.
 
These are on a heating pad, under a dome, inside the greenhouse. I'm looking forward to these, too.  

Choices this year: 

Slicing Tomatoes:
• Brandywine for flavor, even though they're low producers. Indeterminate.
• Cherokee Purple, also for flavor. We'll see how they produce. Also indeterminate. 
• Delicious. I hope they live up to their name. Indeterminate heavy producers.
• Legend: Determinate. For in the greenhouse, where indeterminate gets out of control pretty quickly.

Cooking Tomatoes
• San Marzano. Is there any reason to try anything else? Indeterminate, heavy producers. 

Cherry Tomatoes
• Chocolate Cherry, because it's yummy. 
• Unlabeled red cherry tomatoes from previous years. 

(I'm planning to restrict cherry tomatoes to pots this year, particularly hanging pots.)

Sweet Peppers
• Poblano. I've never grown these before. Looking forward to it. 
• Big Jim. For roasting on the grille. 
• California Wonder: just your basic bell pepper. 
• Big Ol' Bell. Not sure what this is; seeds from online somewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment