Friday, February 22, 2013

Dehydrator in the Greenhouse


I've got a dehydrator in the greenhouse as well. I'm not quite sure how it ended up out there, but it seems to fit, especially during the herb harvests and the tomato harvest.

It's certainly nothing fancy, but it's getting things done! Lots and lots of snacks!

Right now, I've got a load of Gala apples drying. With the mechanical slicer, it took maybe 5 minutes to peel, core and slice a dozen very large apples. They require no preparation, though if you want to give 'em a light coat of lemon juice it is reported (but not demonstrated) to keep them looking prettier. These are like candy: sweet, crunchy, really good!



And I sliced up a few naval oranges. The whole reason for this blog is to document some of the unusual experiments that I can't hold myself back from doing.

This is one of them! I don't actually know what I'm going to do with these. Well, I have an idea. I took a handful of these, ground up the insides with some stevia, a little sugar, and the contents of a peach-passionfruit teabag, and used that to make some sweetbread. It was absolutely increadible. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment