- Maybe be less ambitious with the blog. Admit it: growing stuff is more fun than writing about growing stuff.
|Organic Beefsteak tomatoes|
- Tomatoes: Don't grow 9 varieties next year.
o Chocolate Cherry (purple cherry tomatoes)
o San Marzano (indeterminate cooking tomatoes)
o Cherokee Purple (an excellent slicing tomato)
- Don’t get carried away with kale. (6 – 10 plants; plant spring & fall)
- Don’t get carried away with basil.
- It’s cool to use (some) veggies in the flower beds.
- Stake up the sunflowers!
- Plan on arched trellises: more stable than poles.
|Scarlet Runner Beans.|
o (Maybe grow sunflowers through the trellis?
- Be more intentional about
- Do less with:
o Corn: don’t waste the time.
o Squash. Maybe just Hokkaido and Pattypan.
|1.6 pound tomato (Brandywine)|
o Nasturtiums: they want to take over. Plan accordingly.
o Marigolds: specify the smaller size, and plant sparingly.
- Change how I use the greenhouse:
o No melons in the greenhouse (a pain to pollinate)
o No cucumbers (a pain to pollinate)
o Only 1 tomato plant in the greenhouse, or even better: none (they don’t need greenhouse & they take a lot of space.)
o Peppers are good for greenhouse (easy manual pollination)
o Starts and such are real appropriate in the greenhouse.