Friday, May 3, 2013

Some Custom Garden Tools

I guess I'm just one of those guys that likes tools. If I can't find the one I want (or if I don't want to buy it), I may make my own. 


These are some of my greenhouse tools:

I cut down a shovel (we had too many) for use as a scoop for the soil bin. Best for filling the large plant pots.

I made a weeding tool out of a large fork from Goodwill (35ȼ). Most useful in the herb gardens and the very largest potted plants.

I added a longer handle to an old weeding trowel too. Makes a nice tiny shovel, and it's the perfect size for filling the start pots, or for transplanting those starts into the garden.

That top tool is a tiny hoe for potted plants: a piece of scrap steel and a dowel, attached with boy-scout lashing skills, and cleaned up with some shrink tube Best tool I've ever had for weeding potted plants, and the dowel works great for poking holes in soil to put onion starts or large seeds into, also.

And underneath is a bench brush. We get dirt all over the potting bench fairly often. This fixes that. It's actually the tool I use more than any other inside the greenhouse. I think that's funny.

I made a larger scoop from another busted shovel too. (We had an excess of shovels from a couple of estates this last year or two. Expensive shovels, but we want to use them somehow.)

The larger one hasn't been nearly as handy as the smaller one, but it's been good for mixing soils in the wheelbarrow and for scooping compost onto the garden.  

In the garden, there's nothing as useful as a shovel. But sometimes a more modest shovel  is more useful. 

The green one on the right is a child's shovel. Nice & small, but too light-duty to do any real work. So I took yet another spare full-size shovel and cut it down for the center one, and then I sharpened it (it isn't quite sharp enough to shave with). It fits my sweetie's daintier hands really nicely, and it has all the strength of the full-size shovel from whence it was made. They were so helpful, I ended up making two of them.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment