Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Breaking the Rules in Winter

I took a few photos of some of the very few things that are going on in the greenhouse this winter, largely because this is my Garden Journal, and I needed to journal them.

But what kind of theme works for these three photos.

Aha! Breaking the Rules in Winter. These are all things that, if I'm honest, this is completely the wrong way, the wrong time to do them.

1. I just planted Potatoes. At the New Year.

I know it's all wrong. But I had some purple potatoes sprouting aggressively. What can I do? I'm not going to throw out purple potatoes!

So I planted them in a very large pot and hid them in the back of the greenhouse.

They may not survive, even there. But it at least they won't have died because I didn't try to do something with them!


2. I have some starts going strong. At the New Year.

I planted these last summer, wanting to get them into the ground before it got too nasty, so they could grow over winter. I was too late: they weren't ready to face the wild outdoors when the time came.

So we'll have some early broccoli and onions, I guess. These are white onions; I wanted more white onions this year!


3. I'm growing a freakin' pineapple! At the New Year. In Washington!

The biggest surprise: it's working!

I get it that it's a scrawny little thing. I get it that it's the middle of winter, and it's a long, long way away from home, but it's growing!

I'm kind of excited.



No comments:

Post a Comment