Sunday, April 20, 2014

State of the Starts, Mid April

Just documenting some things going on at this point in the process:

There are a handful of potted things on the patio:
* Several apple trees
* Fig tree
* Bay laurel (bay leaves)
* Olive tree
* Two pots of catnip
* Tarragon and a couple other perennial herbs.
Got a load of white onions in the garden. They're over-crowded, but they seem to grow well that way in this tiny garden.
Somebody anonymously dropped a couple of nice wide flower pots on my back porch this weekend. So I've filled them with flower seeds.
You know how you can put an avocado seed in water, and it will sprout? Well, I'm taking it to the next level.

This is a young avocado tree. I haven't a clue what to do with it.
I broke down and bought a tomato start. This is a Black Krim: they're yummy. It's already got flowers on it.

Last spring, I started tomato seeds March 3 and more on March 13, thinking I was too early. Now I believe it was too late.

I'm going to aim for a February start for tomatoes, and probably brassicas.
I planted a bunch of corn seeds to set out mid May.
These are melons! I'm going to grow melons again this year!
First lemon cucumbers into hanging pots. These are a summer staple!
Leeks were a terrific success last year. Going to do more of that. Here are some more leek starts. They may not go into the garden until a year from now. A long time, in any case.
This is a mystery pumpkin. It started as a weed among the peas. I think it's a German pumpkin: the leaves match, and I saved a lot of those seeds this year.

I started pumpkins and squashes about the same time. I suspect that's too early for doing it again. Maybe end of March next year, beginning of April.
Schizanthus on the right.
Pumpkins, tomatoes and some asparagus starts on the left.
Main starts bed. Lots of tomatoes, peppers, onions, marigolds, and such.
This is the sweet potato that looked like it wasn't going to survive. Looks like it's doing well.



These are up-pottings. Cucumbers, tomatoes, some sage.

Note: Growing a fair bit of sage and marigolds for bug control this year. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but the garden should smell pretty and be colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment