Monday, May 26, 2014

Basil: From Starts or From Seed?

I love good, fresh basil. So I usually try to rush the season. The first live basil available is usually from the grocery stores. Trader Joe's offer's a big pot for $3 or $4, and Fred Meyer had a hydroponically grown batch for $5.

But they don't thrive. This is part of Joe's basil (Fred's barely survived). It's grown some, but the leaves are not real healthy looking: they're wrinkled and off color.
This is basil that I planted from seed. It's very happy, and this is after I've cut some and used it.

And it doesn't need to be in a hanging basket; I might have to use that basket for something else. We'll see.


I don't usually plant basil into the herb bed until June is well under way, but these are doing well.

These are all from seed. 


Conclusion: grow your basil from seed.




No comments:

Post a Comment