Friday, May 2, 2014

The Garden is Largely In

For our neck of the woods, the "Safe Date" for planting things that can't handle frost is Mother's Day, May 14.  But that's only 2 weeks away, and the extended forecast is that over the next 10 days, the lowest temperature will be 42 degrees. And the weather, even after work, is amazing!

Plus, I have loads of starts. I can risk a few.

The squashes are mostly German pumpkins (my own seeds) and Carnival squash (ditto), with one hill of PattyPan. I also planted marigolds and sage around the perimeter. Some say they keep pests away. I think the marigolds are pretty, and the sage smells great!

This is the new home of the tomatoes and cucumbers.

Cucumbers:
  • Lemon cucumbers
  • Pickling cucumbers
  • Amenian cucumbers
  • I seem to have forgotten slicing cucumbers in the rush of getting starts going. Sigh. 
And tomatoes:
  • Roma (For cooking. Determinate)
  • San Marzano (Also for cooking. Indeterminate)
  • Cherokee Purple (Supposed to be good. I have too many starts. Indeterminate.)
  • Black Krim (Delicious. Heirloom. Indeterminate.)
  • Giant (Hybrid. Big. Indeterminate, I think.)
  • Brandywine (Red. Flavorful. Indeterminate. Heirloom?)
  • Organic Beefsteak (Red. Heirloom. Indeterminate?)
Some of these came from the seed-of-the-month club I'm part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment