Monday, February 17, 2014

First Winter for the Peculiar Trees

People who know me will know that I can't do "just the basics." I've got to push the boundaries of what can be done.

To that end, I'm trying to grow some trees that aren't common (at least in my experience) in western Washington.

This is my olive tree, my Manzanilla olive tree. Some websites are telling me that I should be able to grow it outside. Eventually.

This is a bay laurel. I like cooking with bay leaves. This is where they come from.

These grow pretty well around here, or so I'm told. 

I'm also told that the fig tree will do well outside someday.  I'm a little skeptical, but we'll see.

On the other hand, we saw them growing in Germany; that's a similar climate. Had fruit, too.

I had to up-pot it today: its roots were coming out the bottom of the gallon pot. I think I want to remember not to plant this anywhere near a septic system.

I also have a pomegranate tree. This beastie is the fastest growing of the lot. I pruned it three times last summer (its first!) and this spring it's a mass of long, spindly branches. 

But there's life in them thar branches.

Of the four, it's the only one that lost all its leaves. I was a little bit concerned, seeing all those leaves falling off. It's certainly making a fine comeback.

This one may end up in a larger pot on the patio this summer, and then back into the greenhouse in the fall. Again, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment