Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This Week's Dehydrator Adventures.

Dehydrating some citrus: one tray of limes, one tray of lemons. Got 'em all for a buck from the produce stand. Last of the batch, I think.

I accidentally discovered that mixing dehydrated lemons with dehydrated red onions makes an amazing spice for fish. Seriously, it's one of my favorites now, up there with roasted garlic powder.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the limes. We'll figure that out as we go.

Didn't get pictures, but I finished a batch (5 trays) of blood oranges. Got 'em free from the same produce stand two weeks ago, and have been dehydrating them since. They're very dry, which was the goal. Ground 'em all up. Made a cup & a half of powder. Not sure what to do with it.

Might be good, mixed with sugar, sprinkled on top of sweet breads. I think that it might make pretty good ice cream, but I have no idea how much to use. Might make some orange syrup, for pancakes or something. 

I'd kind of like to try an orange sauce for fish (a couple tablespoons of white wine, some melted butter, some orange powder, a little salt & pepper). And I have kind of an idea for an orange sauce for chicken (Current idea: 2½ TBSP white sugar, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp rice vinegar, ½ tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp orange powder, 1 tsp  cornstarch, ½ tsp flour, and a pinch of garlic powder and red pepper powder; cook gently, stirring, until thick.)



I also bought a bag of miscellaneous peppers for another buck from the same produce stand. Three big Anaheims, a couple poblanos, and a large handful of jalapeño peppers.

Halved the big peppers on one tray: those are all pretty mild.

Trimmed the jalapeños: these will make a pretty hot spicy mix.

My daughter loves cooking with dried peppers, so I may leave some of these whole, and grind up the rest.




They turned into these:

No comments:

Post a Comment